Tuesday 14 May 2013

Heavenly Crystals of Sweet Delight!!

My name is Amanda and I am a sugar addict.  

This is the story from my kitchen over the last two weeks and I can't see it getting any better for at least a little while. However when your children start asking, "Mum why do you get spots on your face?" I do begin to question some of my food choices (and my choice of concealer!) 

When I last blogged I was getting ready for our local show, helping at the school, as well as running around after kids and Mr B. All of this involved many forms of cooking which I really enjoyed, until about Thursday, when the novelty well and truly wore off!! 

On Monday I invited a lovely friend to come and have lunch with Miss 4 and I, mainly to catch up, however it did pose a wonderful opportunity to give the pizza dough recipe a whirl in my bread-maker!


Roasted Vegetable Pizza
 Balsamic Roasted Vegetable and Bocconcini Pizza
Yummy fluffy dough with crispy base - I rolled the dough out on 
Corn Flake crumbs before they went in the tray, didn't stick and went crunchy!!
While the breadmaker was doing it's thing with the dough, I diced up some veggies I found in the fridge (pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potato), tossed them in a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roasted them in the oven. I also grilled some diced bacon and red onion in garlic for a nice salty kick! 

I'm not a fan of tomato based pizza, I find the flavor can take over and you loose all the deliciousness of the topping. Instead I used some bottled (gasp!) basil pesto on the base, sprinkled the veggie and bacon mixes and tore up some bocconcini over the top. Back in the oven until cheese is gooey and best lunch ever!! Miss 4 had two pieces - including the topping!!!

That same morning I also put in the pressure cooker an Italian beef mince sauce, filled with grated veggies and classic Italian herbs. Yes, I was about to once again attempt the dreaded, lasagna. 

You may laugh, but this dish and I don't like each other! I have so much trouble cooking the pasta right, making the sauce, putting it together and the list goes on. However upon finding some Lattina fresh lasagna sheets at the grocery store I decided to, "Live and Learn". Being married to a third generation Australian-Italian was also another good incentive!

When I opened the pressure cooker in the afternoon I figured that if nothing else the beef sauce would be good, and it was fantastic! A big bowl of that would have made any Mamma proud!! Biting the bullet I did have to keep going with the original plan and started the layering process, mince, sheets, mince, sheets, mince, sheets - hey it's working!!

Right the Bechamel sauce, once again bottled (Busy, ok!!??) went straight on the top, sprinkled some cheddar cheese and baked in the oven for an hour.


Ta-dah!! My first successful lasagna!!
Served with a Ceaser salad everybody was very happy and I'm sure even my husbands ancestors may have given me a little pat on the back for effort!!


Lasagna
We ate this for an entire week - considering how busy I was
 it was great to know I could serve the family a good meal.
For the show and school kitchen I decided to do two slices and a batch of biscuits, mainly due to the fact I had already found some recipes I wanted to cook and I CANNOT cook without people to share with because that normally means I will eat it.....all. 

During this kitchen frenzy I began to realize my mother has a point about my inability to multi-task while cooking, why do I insist on using EVERY bowl, pan and spoon in my cupboards before I wash up??!! 

The results however where completely worth every moment of washing up!!

Honey and Spice Slice
These slices are Caramel, Macadamia and Coconut (left) 
and Honey and Spice Slice (right).


Passionfruit creams
 Passionfruit creams, sooooo yummy but I am going to
 tweak the cream mixture a little, to make it smoother.

These where a great hit with everyone and I did manage to put some aside for my cups of tea, however Mr B has questioned when he might be allowed to taste some of my cooking. I did relent and share A piece, only after the kids had gone to bed!

Friday found me and many other mummy's at the school for a Mother's Day service and morning tea. It was so lovely to watch Master 6 do his readings and the teachers had also created a slide show of the kids drawings on why they love there mums. It was so cute and every Mum was slightly nervous about what was about to be announced - mine where about filling the bath tub and playing with the dogs, so all good! 

The best part however was when Master 6 was awarded Student of the Week for working hard on his handwriting skills!! Doubly proud (and shocked) mother, considering he has been acting like a diva and I've been secretly contacting possible adoptive parents! Never-the-less as my mother assures me this is a phase (and his is cute) I will keep him for a little longer and by his wedding day I probably won't want to give him away. 


My little academic!!


Over the Mother's Day weekend I was spoilt rotten with lots of treats from the family, especially the beautiful handmade gifts the kids made at school. My absolute favorite treasure was given to me by Miss 4. She had wrapped pieces of fabric scraps around a timber "Mum" (the scraps I had donated to the school which made it double special) and I immediately knew where to hang it - the sewing room door!!

Mum - Stitched to Life
I have been waiting for something special for this door
and how much more special can you get!!



Another present I received was some plants and pots to finish off my front patio garden. I have been working really hard since we moved in to make this area really welcoming and I also spend a lot of time sitting on the veranda with a cuppa, enjoying the serenity.

Shabby chic garden - Stitched to Life
I love Mother's Day for flowering plants!
The white 
Chrysanthemum is actually my Mother's Day
gift from 2 years ago and it's still flowering!

Shabby chic garden - Stitched to Life
This gorgeous stand was given to me by my
beautiful group of sewing friends, these plants and
 stunning shabby chic pots where made to be on this stand!
Thanks girls!!




I think the one of the moments I was really excited about was my Mother's Day High Tea at the local cafe with some new girlfriends. When I heard about this it was a light bulb moment, I had to make a new dress and I knew exactly the fabric from my stash I wanted to use!!

So after a few mishaps (forgetting to rotate pattern pieces for one!!) and leaving the lining until the last minute (will slip-stitch it in later - I promise!) I managed to finish my 50's high tea dress and I love it!!


50's Tea Dress - Stitched to Life
 50's Tea Dress - Stitched to Life
50's Tea Dress - Stitched to Life
 50's tea dress - Stitched to Life
50's Tea Dress - Stitched to Life
To add to the lovely day I also won best
dressed at the morning tea, receiving the above
beautiful arrangement of PINK flowers!!!

 Thanks so much to Ridgee-Didge Cafe for holding the morning tea and to Joe and Jacquie at the Barcaldine Garden Centre for the flower arrangement (and all the plants in my garden!!)


Stitched To Life
Beautiful New Friends!

Stitched to Life
Delicious homemade delights!



Mother's Day afternoon I achieved a wonderful feat of turning a draw full of tangled and unruly ribbons, trims and bias into an organised and beautiful system. All thanks to a blog I found called Crafter Hours where she had used a pant hanger to organise her ribbons and trims, I know how cool is that!!
I had a spare towel hanger that we didn't need since the move and was going to send it to the charity shop, well not anymore, it is now hanging on the back of my sewing room door looking stunning, as well as serving a very important purpose!!


Ribbon mess
From this.....



Ribbon holder
To this!!!
Ribbon holder
This tidy up has made me realize I have a trim and ribbon issue,
 resulting in my not having to buy any for a long time!!

I am going away this weekend to a quilting retreat at Fairburn Dam outside of Emerald, and have been looking forward to this since I left Emerald in December. I get to spend some time with my fabulously eclectic group girlfriends while laughing and of course stitching!! (Between eating and talking I'm not sure how much we will achieve but the intention is there!) 

I am going to use this weekend to do some projects I haven't had a chance to get to but they have been on my mind. I figured that when I get back it's head down and complete focus on my Fat Quarterly submission, which in due by the end of June (EEK!!)

Remember a friend of mine got married last Friday and I made her a quilt with matching cushions?? Well she received them and I'm happy to report she loved them and even had a few tears. (Awwww she's so lovely) So now I can show you all my quilt which I named, "Road to Forever" and is made using Kate Spain's range "Serenade"!!


Road to Forever Quilt

Road to Forever Quilt
This pattern "Crossroads" I found on Moda Bake Shop,
 
it was designed by Tacha Bruecher who is also the editor of Fat Quarterly,
 the magazine I am being published in.

Road to Forever Quilt
The stunning fabric is by one of my fav designers Kate Spain, it is her Serenade range!!
I also used a Riley Blake multi-shade green for sashing! 

Road to Forever Quilt

The stunning quilting which gave the quilt it's life was
done by The Twisted Stitcher herself, Dallas McLellan!


Oh dear I have just realized how much I have posted this time but every moment was worth sharing with you all!!

To finish up I want to share with you a few photos of the kids at the show, jumping on the acrobat ropes - they had an absolute blast!! (and I had waffles!!)


 

 

On the Ferris Wheel!
This photo reminds me of the excitement and pure joy children
can find almost anywhere!!
Ps The ferris wheel has also given me a few quilt ideas!!


May your bobbin always be full!!!

Amanda









4 comments:

  1. The multi green sashing really brings it to life! And what an amazing dress - definitely a winner! Thanks for linking up to the Kate Spain blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyce! Thanks so much for the compliments, I think the green was a good choice too, anything else I put with it made Kate's fabric seem to fade. The blog hop is fantastic and I'm enjoying every word you are sharing online!!

      Delete
  2. Wow - love your Serenade quilt - looks amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah! Thank you so much!! Believe it or not I wasn't too keen when I first started and now it is one of my proudest projects!

      Delete